Sunday, February 17, 2008

Allens "LIST"

CHENGDU- February 2008

Hi Della,
Just back home after three days with friends for Chinese New Year; got my first cold of the winter this week so that also slowed me up a bit. About books: did I send you previously the "List" of books from my notorious "1967 LIST" of 420 books I wrote down at that time I intended to read? I have since read more than half on the list, and have rounded up about half of the remaining ones--that was fun last summer in Toronto, going to bookstores with the List! and buying anything and everything that was on it. I have plenty with me to keep me busy for quite a while but any book on the list is always welcome. Some I want to read more than others of course but ALL are to be read eventually. I hope to finish the whole 420 by the time I'm 75, ten years from now. That's an average of 2 titles per month, in addition to ALL THE OTHER reading I'm interested in of course! As for Brown's LIFE AGAINST DEATH... is a book to be read and reread many times, not just dashed through and marked off a list. It was NOT on my list in 1967--wish I'd read it then! But it no doubt would not have affected me the same way it did last Spring. The main task I have for the Literary Festival is getting a new chapbook printed in the next four weeks---I'm scheduled to do a book launch on March 5, and you are scheduled to read and do whatevere on March 19, as part of the Writing Workshop Evening. So do bring a few copies of your book or books, and I'd advise bringing the ACTS trilogy, in case some publishing chance happens to spring up. Anyway I'd like to see it again and even have a copy of it, so we can always photocopy it if you have it here.

No comments: